Tuesday, June 2, 2009

HG Update: 22 May 2009

The worship leader for this week was Christina. We had a surprise visit from our beloved Clement who went AWOL for at least a year... NAH JK JK... On drums as usual abang Witter, on keyboards is Clement, On guitars is Andy, myself and Willert and last but not least Jason on the bass.

The sermon for this week was brought up by Aunty Dorcas and it concerns the commandment "You Shall Not Steal". We first shed some light on things we think it's okay but is actually stealing such as bringing in stationery from the office or picking up money you see lying on the floor.

Then we came to the focus of the sermon. Paying tithes/offering. As greedy men, we rationalize with this commandment although paying less tithes or not paying tithes is considered stealing from God. Aunty Dorcas suggested the moment we receive ang pow or pocket money, 10% must be given to the Lord. At that moment,I wrestled with the beast in me saying

"Wei Lim, you're just a kid still studying. You're not receiving money officially. Therefore, paying tithes is not necessary. Pay tithes ONLY when you get a job."

For a moment I thought it was a good idea. To be honest, I still think it's a good idea to pay tithes only when you're working. That shows what a greedy brute I am.

Then several arguements came out such as economic meltdown, medical issues, hard times. To answer these arguements, Pastor Koshy stood up and read a verse from the bible, I forgotten which.

"If you love me, you will obey my commands."

That shows us how shallow most christians are. Our love for God is just skin thick. I finally found out I've been fooling everyone with a pathetic mask and ended up playing for the worship team. To God, he sees me as a disgusting hypocrite. I would need your prayers.

I believe there's a lesson here for all of us. Not just within the commandment.

Photos to be added later.

Thanks...

2 comments:

KOSHY said...

Thanks Wei Lim for your honest update and the willingness to be vulnerable. Will be praying for you. But do press on to seek the Lord brother! Jesus is still madly in love with you. :)

ChoonKhai said...

ahh my ang pow money!! XD haha